The Rockhampton Catholic Diocesan Archives (RCDA) aims to ensure that diocesan archives are preserved as authentic evidence of the Rockhampton Catholic Diocese’s administrative, cultural, spiritual and intellectual activities.
The archive works to retain and manage the personal, corporate and social memory of the Rockhampton Catholic Diocese. Diocesan archives are those diocesan records which are non-current to the Curial administration and which because of their administrative, legal, financial and research value, are considered worthy of permanent retention and preservation within the Rockhampton Diocese Archives.
The Diocesan Archives is a purpose-built facility where archived records are preserved in a climate-controlled environment— 20 degrees celsius and relative humidity of 55%. This is the industry standard for preservation of these records.
Scope of the Diocesan Archive Holdings
- Baptismal and Marriage Registers of the Rockhampton Diocese dating back to 1862 and various Confirmation and Death registers;
- Documents and correspondence generated by the Bishops, parishes and some diocesan agencies;
- Complete collection of “The Review” since its inception in April 1935;
- Memorabilia of events and anniversaries;
- Religious and Liturgical artefacts (museum-types items);
- Architectural and engineering drawings of diocesan buildings and plant;
- Photographs of diocesan/parish personalities and events (as yet uncatalogued);
- Taped recordings (audio and video) of some events (as yet uncatalogued) ;
- Extensive collection (incomplete) of the Australasian Catholic Directory.
Diocesan Archives Services
In addition to the collection, preservation and documenting of resources the Archives provides:
- Research for diocesan agencies;
- Research support for historians and researchers;
- Issue of Baptism certificates and assistance to family history researchers;
- Provision of copies (certified when necessary) of requested documents.
Because of the physical and private nature of many resources, the Archives are not open to the public.
Diocese Archives Services Access
Click on the links below to view and download the PDF.
Catholic Education Complex
Archivist: Mr Lyle Mitchell
07 4887 3087 firstname.lastname@example.org 143 West Street
PO Box 524
Rockhampton Qld 4700