The Catholic Diocese of Rockhampton is committed to safeguarding, with a specific focus on protecting children and vulnerable adults. We hold the belief that all, especially children, young people and vulnerable adults are a gift from God with an intrinsic right to dignity of life, respect and security from physical and emotional harm.
On June 1st, 2016 Most Rev Michael McCarthy, Bishop of Rockhampton officially signed and promulgated the new Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults policy.
The most up to date version of the policy is found here:View Policy
You can access Bishop Michael’s safeguarding video message by clicking the image link above.
The Diocesan Professional Standards and Safeguarding Office is responsible for ensuring the safety of children, young people and the vulnerable within the confines of the Catholic Church across the diocese of Rockhampton. This includes responding to disclosures, educating the Catholic community on child protection and protective behaviours and establishing Parish Safeguarding Representatives within parishes across the diocese.
The Diocesan Pastoral Response
The Diocesan Pastoral Response is the first point of contact for individuals with complaints or concerns pertaining to abuse or/and harm experienced within the Church.
Responding with compassion, concern and care in the first instance, as well as the provision of ongoing pastoral care and support, including the facilitation of referrals to other appropriate services and human sector professionals.
The Diocesan Pastoral Response reports to the Diocesan Professional Standards and Safeguarding Manager, who is directly accountable to the Bishop of Rockhampton.
Anyone wishing to make contact with the Diocesan Pastoral Response line can do so by calling 1800 830 113.
Diocesan Professional Standards and Safeguarding Office
Manager: Judy Pidcock
Pastoral Response: Jill Yates
Administration Support: Jan Mussig
+61 7 4887 3080 firstname.lastname@example.org 170 William Street, PO Box 611, Rockhampton Qld 4700
Pastoral Response Line: 1800 830 113 (free call)
Reporting a concern
If you would like to report a safeguarding concern please contact the Diocesan Response line on 1800 830 113 (free call). If you wish to speak with someone outside of the diocese and independent of the Church, please contact:
Professional Standards (QLD)
Or you can ring the helpline number: 1800 337 928
Raise a concern and seek advice and support in Queensland
Call 000 if a child or vulnerable adult is in imminent danger.
Queensland Professional Standards Office – 1800 337 890 Website
Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services – 1800 811 810 or 1800 177 135 (after hours) Website
Elder Abuse Prevention Hotline – 1300 651 192 Website
Mental Health Commission – 1300 855 945 Website
Sexual Assault Services
- Brisbane Rape & Incest Survivors Support Centre – 07 3391 0004 Website
- Bravehearts – 1800 Brave 1(1800 272 831) Website
Ph: 07 5552 3000
Fx: 07 5552 3088
- Sexual Assault Help Line 1800 010 120 Website
- Centre Against Sexual Violence – sexual assault support, education and information for Logan, Beenleigh and Beaudesert – 07 3808 3299 Website
- Link Up Queensland – counselling, healing and culturally appropriate support for Indigenous Australians – 1800 200 855 Website
- Living Well – counselling and support services – 07 3028 4648 Website
- Lotus Place – counselling and support for Forgotten Australians and former Child Migrants, their families and carers – 1800 161 109 Website
- Relationships Australia Qld – family, relationship and specialist counselling services – 1800 552 127 or 1300 364 277 Website